Isn’t It Romantic?

February 14, 2011 at 8:53 am 11 comments

Yes, friends, it is Valentine’s Day. I am in the camp that you shouldn’t need a special day to express such a thing but what the heck. It is what it is. And, more important, it is what you make of it.

Here’s my tip to the guys out there. A simple sincere expression means a lot more than two weeks of grumbling followed by . . . well, anything. And, if you are in a relationship that “requires” you to cough up diamonds on Valentine’s Day, well, you know, if ya ask me, it’s not the holiday that’s stupid.

As a single woman who genuinely likes men as well as dive bars and watching football; who knows how to put the seat down if it’s up without having a fainting spell; who has never understood the desire to drag a man to the mall (nor understood a man’s willingness to do so); who doesn’t care what kind of car you drive or what your job title is; who can bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan dressed like a naughty secretary, I just can’t feel a whole lot of pity for guys who whine about being in a relationship with some gold-digging, annoying, unaffectionate witch.

Some days, I wonder where people get their bad ideas about love. Other times, like today, clues appear. On the way to work, a local radio station was running a contest. Who can name the movie selected as the number one most romantic movie of all time on the blah-blah list of yada-yada. The answer:  Gone With the Wind.

hmmmm

Guy falls for girl he barely knows. Girl treats guy like dirt while pining over somebody else’s husband. Girl finally gets desperate enough to need guy and marries him but withholds marital affections and continues to treat him like dirt. He finally grows a pair and walks out.

Uh, yeah. Gone With the Wind is an epic story and a cinematic feat, yes, but the number one romance? Where did they do their polling, outside of a marriage counselor’s office?

Now I don’t claim that real romance should or could ever be measured by movie romance, but c’mon people. Surely, we can aspire to do better than the trainwreck that was Rhett and Scarlett.

For example:

Moonstruck
The Philadelphia Story
L.A. Story
Desk Set
Princess Bride
It Happened One Night
A Walk in the Clouds
Moulin Rouge
The Wedding Singer
Roxanne

Boy, that was easy. Here are ten more.

Brigadoon
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
When Harry Met Sally
The African Queen
Shakespeare in Love
To Catch a Thief
The Sound of Music
Emma
An Officer and a Gentleman
The Goodbye Girl

Feel free to add some of your own to this list in the Comments section.

But.

I beg you.

Don’t say An Affair to Remember ’cause that would make me laugh so hard I might get distracted and step into traffic and then we’d never see each other again because my opinion of you—love of my life!—is that you are very handsome but you are shallow and hate cripples.

Entry filed under: Humor - Commentary. Tags: , , , .

The Grin in Chagrin Snow Is Stupid

11 Comments Add your own

• 1. Ruth  |  February 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

as usual, LOVE it!

I kinda liked also:

Notting Hill
    You’ve Got Mail (better than Sleepless in Seattle)
    10 Things I Hate About You (a nod to Heath…Ledger, not Miller!)

anyway, none of those guys compares to mine who cleans the house better than I do!

• 2. boatdrinkbaby  |  February 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

Thanks Ruth. Yes, liked You’ve Got Mail — had that on there and ended up taking it off because it was a remake (and because It still makes me sad that she lost the book store, haha) But totally agree it’s a good one — as is your romance :)

(Have not seen the other two.)

• 3. Ken Jordan  |  February 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

You and I have the same idea of the ideal woman. The woman
    I married is pretty close. As for my daughters I advise them to find a man who loves them above all else and is also a millionaire. I agree that Gone with the Wind is a poor choice. I have never been able to stay awake through the whole movie. My favorite movie is Casablanca. I don’t think I need to defend that choice. To a lesser extent I like You’ve Got Mail. It has a happy ending. <3 & Xs
    Kenny

• 4. boatdrinkbaby  |  February 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

haha, love the advice for the girls :) And heck no you don’t need to defend that pick.

• 5. Lee Ann  |  February 14, 2011 at 10:24 am

Arthur – love this one
    Dirt Dancing -nobody puts Baby in a corner!
    Both are sort of cheesy but I love them

• 6. Tawwmmy (as you'uns call me)  |  February 14, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Kenny nailed it (bonus points to him) – “Casa-freaking-Blanca”. Hands down. Vic doesn’t necessarily agree, but that’s my unquestioned vote. (I literally listen to it falling asleep at night). Was happy to see “You’ve Got Mail” get an honorable mention as well.
    Kudos for African Queen, don’t forget Sleepless in Seattle (w/out Rosie if possible), and Sound of Music = Love, and Goodbye Girl tickled my high-school heart.
    BoatDrinkBaby – you’re an amazing chick. Happy V-day girl! Luv ya lots!

• 7. boatdrinkbaby  |  February 15, 2011 at 2:06 am

Thanks Tawm :)

• 8. boatdrinkbaby  |  February 15, 2011 at 4:28 am

Me again. I fall asleep listening to “The Thin Man” — if you’ve never seen it, give it a go. I wanted to put it on my list but it is not, technically, a romantic movie even though the two main characters’ relationship is a delight.

• 9. joanne  |  February 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Sleepless in Seattle
    Star Man

• 10. WritingbyEar  |  February 15, 2011 at 3:20 am

“…when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”

(When Harry Met Sally. Just so good.)

• 11. Alecia  |  February 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I agree with Lee Ann – Dirty Dancing is a classic!

I’m also a fan of The American President (Annette Benning has awesome hair in that one!)